Friday, April 15, 2016

The Genes of Left and Right

Political beliefs were once always attributed to our upbringings and surroundings, but a new study published in Behavior Genetics reveals that they are also influenced by our genes. The study was conducted on 12,000 twin pairs. There were some fraternal and some identical, but each pair were raised together in the same environment and upbringing. It was stated that about 60% of our political beliefs come from our environment and personality, and the other 40% on genes: “We inherit some part of how we process information, how we see the world and how we perceive threats- and these are expressed in a modern society as political attitudes (Peter Hatemi).”

I think that it was interesting to see how political beliefs arose in the twins, and to discover that political beliefs can be traced back to very basic processes in our brains.

No comments:

Post a Comment